I am Mun Thye, and am a practising computer scientist trained in data mining, machine learning, and data storage technologies.
I graduated from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) with a Master of Computer Science (MCS) in May 2013. I obtained my Bachelor's degree from the School of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University, graduating in May 2009 with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with University Honours with a minor in Mathematical Sciences.
``Mun Thye'' is my full first name and is my official name. I defer to the compound form ``Mun-Thye'' for the most part to reduce confusion. In either case, the correct pronunciation of my name in International Phonetic Alphabet is [mɐn tʰaːɪ].
I am currently on a sabbatical.
I have written back-end software for data management systems, designing and integrating computation platforms, storage solutions (traditional and cutting edge) and analytics tools to solve specific industry needs with a focus on enabling data analytics using the server-client model. I have experience with making these servvices cloud-friendly.
I have also used machine learning techniques on text and semi-structured text domain for performing information extraction and integration, and have applied similar techniques on mining information from structured data sources like IMDB and Netflix. I have also worked as a teaching assistant for a machine learning class.
My other general computer science interests include systems hacking, cryptography & steganography, algorithm design & implementation, as well as applied statistics over various disciplines and data sources.
Most of the code I write are for proprietary systems, and thus are not available publicly. I am not a contributor of open source projects due to potential conflicts of interest.
I am programming language agnostic, comfortable with major programming paradigms that are available.
I also have experience in mentoring interns and junior engineers to build up their capabilities and expertise.
While this page is succinct in describing my professional credentials, it is hardly a résumé. The most updated curricula vitae is obtainable through direct contact. I am happy to furnish other forms of documentation, like referees and academic records, but only upon request. Note that while I mention some of the people I work with here, they are not official references.
Publications are not my strong point due to my industry-centric role. However, since I frequently work with scientists, I end up being a co-author for some of their work---this section tracks them. As always, they are in reverse chronology order.
- Gim Guan Chua, Paul Min Chin Lim, Mun-Thye Mak, Wee Siong Ng, Shuqiao Guo, Ang Loon Chan, Desmond Chua Zhen Liang: A Flexible Qualitative Data Analytics Dashboard. IEEE TENCON 2018: 1865--1869.
- Ang Loon Chan, Gim Guan Chua, Desmond Zhen Liang Chua, Shuqiao Guo, Paul Min Chim Lim, Mun-Thye Mak, Wee Siong Ng: Practical Experience with Smart Cities Platform Design. WF-IoT 2018: 470--475.
- Htoo Htet Aung, Shuqiao Guo, Shili Xiang, Ang Loon Chan, Paul Min Chim Lim, Mun-Thye Mak, Gim Guan Chua, Wee Boon Koh, Wee Siong Ng: A*DAX-DAT: A Toolkit Framework for Big Data Analytics. IEEE TENCON 2017: 639--644.
- Narayanan Amudha, Gim Guan Chua, Eric Siew Khuan Foo, Shen Tat Goh, Shuqiao Guo, Paul Min Chim Lim, Mun-Thye Mak, Muhammad Cassim Mahmud Munshi, See-Kiong Ng, Wee Siong Ng, Huayu Wu: A*DAX: A Platform for Cross-domain Data Linking, Sharing and Analytics. DASFAA 2014: 493-502.
- Sujoy Roy, Mun-Thye Mak, Kong-Wah Wan: Wikipedia Based News Video Topic Modeling for Information Extraction. MMM (2) 2011: 411-420.